The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Exige S Stalling

37K views 187 replies 79 participants last post by  sizzflair 
#1 ·
My new Exige S sometimes stalls in stop and go traffic. You start to pull away from a stop, then stop quickly and revs fall so far that it stalls. Anybody have that problem yet? Some Elise used to have that problem a while ago, IIRC.

#29 ·
®ob said:
you guys with the stalling problem, try flicking the AC on and off a BUNCH of times at idle. See if it kills your car. If it does, it is the same problem I have. Supposedly a new relay will fix it....
I'm getting mine tomorrow hopefully
I tried it this morning, but no stall. How many times do you have to turn it on/off? I did it about 10 times. All I got was a clicking sound from the engine each time I turned it on. How fast do you do it? Are you just pressing the a/c button or turning off the fan as well?

G
#31 ·
Battery has been disconnected twice.

I run 93 octane

Car has 350 miles... It hasn't learned yet. It seems to be independent of the A/C

I doubt the fuel filter is clogged since it is new.

My car bucked again today at speed (with the A/C on).

I think we need to communicate with Hethel about a potential problem.

Anyone know how/where to e-mail them?

G
#33 ·
Stalling still continuing after 450 miles.

It DOES seem to be more prevalent with the A/C on.

Today, however, I was accelerating through a very large intersection. Windows were down, radio was blasting...

I just start going into the intersection, and I'm pressing the gas and nothing... Then I realize I stalled. Hit the clutch... pressed engine start, and continued on my way.

This is the first time I've stalled while accelerating. Usually I stall after a spirited run, decelerating to a traffic light or something.

3 stalls today.

G
#34 ·
Sent this off via e-mail...

Dear Lotus Engineering:

If this is not the correct department, please forward this e-mail to the appropriate personnel. Thank you.

I am the proud owner of a new 2007 Exige S. <

It seems that a number of owners of the new Exige S’ are experiencing a problem with the engine stalling. I personally, have stalled the engine several dozen times in under 450 miles, usually while decelerating to a traffic signal after a spirited run. Today the engine stalled while accelerating in 2<sup>nd</sup> gear through an intersection which is potentially very dangerous.

There DOES seem to be a connection with the A/C unit being on, but I believe I have also experienced stalling the A/C off.

Furthermore, I occasionally experience a brief engine cut-out while at speed (usually with the A/C on). It is more of a sudden, massive, deceleration…. Or the feeling you get when the engine rev limited kicks on. It’s rather startling.

There is a thread on the internet forum, Elise Talk, showing other ‘S’ owners experiencing similar situations with the stalling.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31893

We are curious as to whether or not Lotus has identified the potential source of the stalling in the supercharged cars, and if there is a potential fix (i.e., ECU remap) in the near future to correct the deficiencies.

Your response and solutions will be well received.

Thank you for your attention and Happy New Year.

</FONT]
Sincerely,

Karl 'Qball' Ellzey

#35 ·
took delivery on thursday, 380 miles to date. mixed driving. two stalls and a couple of stumbles within the first 30 miles. not one since. HAVE NOT used the ac. she's a bit grumbly while coming up to temp, requires light modulation of the throttle, but nothing out of the ordinary.
perhaps another data point to suggest AC related?

#36 ·
qball, thanks for sending the email to Lotus UK. I have 800 miles on my S and the stalling has continued but is much less now. It seems to happen once every 100 miles or so. This is always without the ac on. It is cold here so no ac needed yet.

G
#37 ·
Answer from my previous post received from Hethel today...

You descibe two different issues in your mail. The occasional stalling on return to idle is a concern to which our engineers have only recently become aware, and is not reported from other territories. I have forwarded your comments.

The occasional brief engine cut may be due to the a.c./fan control module, identified in Service Bulletin 2006/20. It has been found that on a very small number of cars, with an unfavourable tolerance a.c. control module, it is possible under some circumstances that sparking across the a.c.
compressor relay contacts can cause a voltage spike which results in the engine ECU resetting. This will be experienced as a momentary interruption of engine power, and is likely to occur only very occasionally. It is also possible that a throttle related trouble code may be set. e.g. P0638. I recommend you allow your dealer to replace the a.c./fan control module A117P0038F.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Drive safely and enjoy.

Yours sincerely,

Dave Massey - Technical Service
Senior Technical Author
Lotus Cars Ltd., Hethel, Norwich, Norfolk. NR14 8EZ.

G
#39 ·
I PMed everyone here with the contact info for the engineer at Lotus. (Didn't want to post it publicly).

I'm sure if we all send detailed accounts of the conditions our vehicles are under during stall, it may help them isolate the mechanical problem or the software glitch.

Regards,

Qball

#41 ·
qBall

Can you PM me with the email also - my new Exige S w/250 miles on the clock has stalled a few times on return to idle :(

Thanks

#44 ·
Greetings,

Did anyone hear from Lotus about this Exige stalling issue? Reasons/Fixes?

I am new to Lotus and about to order an Exige S. The frequent stalling issue does raise a conern for me, since my wife will also drive this car I wouldn't want her to be in any trouble (does the car stalled during a stop, or in speed also?)

I might be putting my deposit down in a few days, any quick insights on this stalling issue will be very appreciated. :up:

With best regards,
- Alex.

#45 ·
Im pretty sure it only stalls at a stop. I have noticed it happens mostly on an incline, like in my driveway when Im pulling in to the garage.

#47 ·
Im pretty sure it only stalls at a stop. I have noticed it happens mostly on an incline, like in my driveway when Im pulling in to the garage.
Thanks for the input. Does it sound like a fuel related issue (e.g. Fuel pump or fuel level sensor?)

Hmmm... I wonder if the stallings occur when the fuel tank is near empty... Can any other owners relate? :bow:

Thanks again, with best regards,
- Alex.

#48 ·
Mine stalled once already. I'm not sure but I think I had some hesitation from the engine while I was driving around 6k rpm. Wasn't really paying attention, because I was also shifting at that point.

#49 ·
Hi,

Since I might be ordering a Exige S this weekend, today I mentioned the stalling issue to my mechanic friend for his opinion...

In a hunch, without seeing the cars, he wonders if that is electrical-ground related (e.g. bad grounding). He says if the Exige S is made of aluminum and composite material, the grounding may be sensitive (e.g. can't use the body and chassis to connect ground conventionally like other cars) and a bad/loose grounding may cause the stalling...?

Any thoughts, fellows? :confused:

With best regards,
- Alex.

#50 ·
someone posted somewhere that it had to do with the AC. Something about something causing a short whereby it would interupt the ECU for a second and hence be as if your car was off.

#51 ·
axhoaxho said:
In a hunch, without seeing the cars, he wonders if that is electrical-ground related (e.g. bad grounding). He says if the Exige S is made of aluminum and composite material, the grounding may be sensitive (e.g. can't use the body and chassis to connect ground conventionally like other cars) and a bad/loose grounding may cause the stalling...?

Any thoughts, fellows?
Aluminum has a higher electrical conductivity than steel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.