The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Boot

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  DanH 
#1 · (Edited)
Some pics of my Elise. I've put the radio in there for size reference.

Taken from the passengers side. To the right you see the battery (covered with cloth attached with some velcron). You'll notice the tail and brake lights to the left. Not that clear, but with a little imagination you'll see that above the opening is much smaller than the size of the boot

Taken from the drivers side. To the left is the pocket thingy to store stuff. This has been removed in MY2004. Beautiful tape to the right

Picture of the softtop in its bag in the boot. It's slighty tilted on the right (up). The battery to the left gets in the way. I don't recall whether the battery was moved in MY2004.

This is how I normally store the softtop. All other stuff goes around it. I tug some towels and the like away near the lights (not in the picture). There's room for two coats and a small bag in this configuration. Rearrange for more room (extra sports bag or so)

See less See more
#4 ·
L8BRAKR said:
Has anyone ever monitored the temperature in the trunk/boot while driving? I'm guessing it could get pretty warm in there.
Well... this is of no help of course, but still a nice excuse to link to (friend took it with his camera) http://www.xs4all.nl/~armitage/20030806/Dsc00880.jpg

Anyway, it gets hot. Pretty hot. I've had the mastic that's between the boot lock and the boot lick getting all soft and 'dripping' out. Actually it was pushed out by a fully stuffed trunk in pretty hot weather (and a pretty long drive). This was with ambient temperatures of 36-38 degrees celcius (97-100 degrees fahrenheit).

Under those circumstances my friend and I blasted around (short holiday) and bought the thermometer featured in the above hyperlinked picture. I believe it came close to the ambient temperature, but not really above that.

We tried to bring along drinks, but after a drive they were too heated up and tasted shite, so we bought one of those cool bags from a local market, but that didn't really work. This was btw an excessive hot and long summer for our parts (pretty much broke all local records).

#7 ·
I thought the battery was still in the boot and the washer bottle has been moved back to the boot from its current position under one of the front access panels (real pain in the arse it is too)??

As for temp in boot - yeah it does get a bit warm in there, don't travel long journeys with frozen food :)

My supermarket is about 5 mins drive from my house and ice cream still manages to melt on the way home :(

#10 ·
HI Meat,
I don't recall the storage compartment being that much narrower than the UK car, I wouldn't say more than 1 or 2" the engine compartment definately has a more loaded appearance. The freeing up of the space the battery took probably means cubic space is about the same.
Chris

#11 ·
moose said:
My supermarket is about 5 mins drive from my house and ice cream still manages to melt on the way home :(
Drive faster. :D

I'm not too concerned with the heat in the trunk. I doubt that it will get too hot since there is a lot of air flow through the engine compartment and the exhaust headers are towards the front of the engine bay (look at the R&T Article pix).

#13 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.